Re: [OM] It's 7.0!!

Subject: Re: [OM] It's 7.0!!
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:33:31 EST
In a message dated 2/28/01 2:20:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I'm guessing either (a) a laptop and a dial-up (phone systems use battery
>  power when the mains go off-line) or (b) power outages are sporadic and
>  geographically randomized, and Rich's domicile is "lucky."
>
>  My wife's in Vancouver, Canada today for work-related meetings.  There are
>  no reports of serious damage or injuries there, but as one radio announcer
>  pointed out, that's possibly because they're having a hard time getting
>  through to Van.  I've tried my wife's pager, and I'm getting nowhere.  If
>  it was a 7.0 near Seattle, it's gotta be a 5.5 or 6.0 at Van.  Damn!  Wish
>  I could get through...
>
>  Garth

That would be b), Garth.... think we had the outage, but power was restored
just before I walked in.

Don't worry about the missus.  I doubt they felt much more than a good shake
up there.  My sister in Puyallup (about 20 mi. north of epicenter) said a
couple of little glass objects fell from shelves and all her pictures are
askew on the walls.  Poor brother in law, who is a landlubber if ever there
was one, was out in the backyard watching the house when it hit.  When I got
home and called, he said he was still feeling slightly seasick.  I called my
other brother in law (retired Coast Guard boatswain's mate) over in Pt.
Townsend, and we had a good laugh over that.  That bro-in-law (in Pt. T.) was
on his tractor when it hit, and said a guy ran by, yelling, "Earthquake!"....
then pretty soon, ran by going the opposite direction, yelling "Earthquake!".
 When you've spent any amount of time in Alaska, ..... it's just not that big
a deal.

Again, don't worry about the missus.  (I know, easy for me to say).

Rich