Re: [OM] New OM Book in Japan

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM Book in Japan
From: "k.matsumoto" <GHA02260@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 09:53:52 +0900
OM System Inside Story - Interview with Y. Maitani (part 3 of 3)

At first the system was named "M system" and the first camera was
"M-1".  What does the "M" mean?  The outward consensus was "The
pronunciation of alphabets differs by country, but the letter M is
the same 'em' in German, French, English, and in most other
countries. So let's use the letter M."  "But to tell the truth, it's
my initial.  Everybody knew it but not mentioned.  Among various
ideas it was finally, but easily decided as M-1".

A serious problem arose two months after the M system was born.  The
M-1 was released first in Japan on July 20, 1972 and was introduced
at the Fotokina in September.  An Ernst Leitz (today's Leica)
executive came to Olympus' booth and said "We don't want you to use
the letter M".

The letter M has been used for rangefinder Leicas since 1954.
However, a one letter name cannot be registered as a trademark.
Olympus could refuse to change the name of their system because it
wasn't illegal.  "But Olympus was a  company who always tried to
avoid troubles with other companies.  This time also, right in front
of the Leitz's person, we instantly decided to add something before
the M.  Few ideas were suggested, but a name with three or more
letters needs registration.  So we concluded to use the letter O for
Olympus."

This decision was made within an hour, but cameras with M-1 cover
were already in production and pamphlets were completed.  So it was
also immediately decided to sell the completed bodies but trash the
not yet mounted top covers.  Consequently, about 5,000 M-1s were
sold and a few of them are still found in used camera stores today.

The size of the OM bodies is very close to that of a Leica.  Almost
the same size of a Barnack type Leica, and its volume is very close
to that of an M Leica.  Is this because Maitani loved his Leica
since he was a child?

"We didn't simply copy the Leica at the design stage.  I think I
should say, it had to be that size."  Since the OM system was
assumed to support all kinds of photography, the specs of the large
sized lens mount was decided first so it can accept even microscopes
and telescopes.  A large mirror was also provided so it ended to be
equipped with the largest mirror compartment in the class.  In the
actual design process, systematizing the camera had priority over
minimizing its size.

OM-5 ... ?
At the end of the interview, we asked Maitani about the "OM-5".

"Please understand that the OM-5 will not come out soon.  As you
know, our investments are mainly oriented to digital cameras today.
But demands are always changing.  If desired by the people, it may
come out some day."

******************************
Thank you for your patience with reading my long and poor
translation.  I hope you are not disappointed by the last message
from Mr. Maitani.

For those who may wish to purchase this book, I sent an inquiry
e-mail to the publisher to ask whether their online shopping section
accepts orders from abroad.  If they do, then you may feel free to
place an order.  So far, I'm waiting for their reply.

If unfortunately the publisher refuses to ship copies abroad, then I
can help you.  I'm not sure if I can send +500 copies of them :-)
But I don't mind sending 10 or 20 of them.

kazuya matsumoto