Re: [OM] New OM Book in Japan

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM Book in Japan
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:17:16 -0800
In a message dated 2/28/01 4:58:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
GHA02260@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

snip<
 OM-5 ... ?
  At the end of the interview, we asked Maitani about the "OM-5".

  "Please understand that the OM-5 will not come out soon.  As you
know, our investments are mainly oriented to digital cameras today. But demands are always changing. If desired by the people, it may
  come out some day."

  ******************************
  Thank you for your patience with reading my long and poor
  translation.  I hope you are not disappointed by the last message
  from Mr. Maitani.

snip<

On the contrary, Kazuya!  You did an excellent job of translation!  And,
instead of being disappointed by the last message of Mr. Maitani, I take some
hope in it.  Things go in cycles.  Who knows?  Olympus may yet decide at some
date that there is still a market for their line of SLRs.

Thank you for a job well done!

Rich

To me, the OM4T is just about perfect and I think I would even be disappointed if Oly brought out an OM6(OM5 would be the mechanical version) to replace it. It would be nice if there could be small detail improvements from time to time to sort of keep it up to date. Might it not be possible to do some things within the current package like matrix metering instead of or in addition to the averaging one, a faster shutter that would flash synch at higher speed, a more modern and capable flash system that is as easy to use as a point and shoot? When you see what Olympus can stuff in into an Epic Stylus it seems like they would have tons of space inside the OM module to do that with out adding a whole lot of cost to the OM4T. They could even some special nomenclature(OM4TiB?), do some elegant synthetic skin so as not to be criticized, do some advertising, provide cameras for review to the magazines and perhaps breathe some new life into OM sales.

We have our dreams.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby