[OM] What I'd like to see in the next OM (dreaming)

Subject: [OM] What I'd like to see in the next OM (dreaming)
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 20:36:26 -0800 (PST)
Dear Friends,

With all this talk of Olympus's future in SLRs, I started thinking
about features the company could include in its next model that I would
be interested in and might also help it to be competitive.

* Vertical metal-bladed shutter, with speeds up to 1/4000 sec (or
  faster!)
* Stepless shutter speeds in auto/program modes (as at present)
* Manual shutter speeds selectable in 1/2 stop increments
* Flash sych speed max. 1/250 sec
* Choice of 1st or 2nd curtain flash synch
* Choice of exposure modes including aperture priority, shutter
  priority, variable (shift) program or manual
* Choice of spot or centre-weighted metering in any mode
* TTL metering flash control in any mode
* Fill-in flash, as an option to flash as the prime light source,
  controlled by the camera's TTL metering, preferably SCA system
* Built-in pre-flash spot-meter for use with any flash in 'manual' mode
* Mirror and aperture pre-fire lock-up, independent of self-timer
* Self-timer with variable delay selectable from 2 to 15 secs,
  cancellable before or during the count-down and self-resetting
  to 'off' after use
* DX coding with optional manual override
* Compensation -3 to +3 f-stops in 1/2 stop increments
* Viewfinder display of lens aperture, shutter speed, exposure mode,
  metering mode, compensation and manual mode meter indicator
* Optional separate autowinder or motor drive (as at present)
* Camera powered by winder/motor batteries when attached
* Long-life, higher voltage, readily available batteries (e.g. 2x 3v
  lithium)
* Manual focus only (as at present) and continued compatibility with
  existing Zuiko lenses.

I feel that most of these features could be included without a major
increase in the size of the body. However, I would be happy to see it
enlarged a little, if necessary; after all, OMs still have a long way
to go to catch up with some other manufacturers' bulky and heavy SLRs.

All this is just my personal opinion and I realize it's just pie in the
sky, or cake in the lake, or whatever. So don't blame me, blame San
Andreas - it's all San Andreas' fault!

Regards,

=====
Ray