Re: [OM] New Bloke

Subject: Re: [OM] New Bloke
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 15:38:35 +1100
And return greetings from the green wet bits down the bottom. Cheerful
list, this, apart from endless whinging about minor earth tremors and
celebrations from various north-Americans every time the temp. there gets
over 10degC. (Call that a climatic extreme?...)
Now, as a new chum, it will be pointed out to you that others around here
have the charity shop concession for Australia and you'll be required to
send the camera off to the real owner and there will be offers to save you
from zuikoholism by the same means - resist these fraudulent blandishments.
Meantime - sticky aperture blades (if there's no visible oil on them) may
be the result of sitting unused for ages. Try taking the lens off, closing
it down to f16 and operating the stop-down lever on the back a few dozen
times vigorously to open and close it. This worked with a nice old
screw-mount Pentax 24mm I picked up recently - it freed up after about
thirty full actions. Failing that, many Cash Convertor places have them for
around $20-30 (offer less) from dead OM10's. One store here has about
fifteen of the blighters. Try to get one with 'Made in Japan' on the front
ring.
Of course, hang around here too long and one of them will sell you
something 'much more interesting...' than a mere 50/1.8.
Andrew
Melbourne