[OM] Serious Backpacking (WAS Newly Introduced)

Subject: [OM] Serious Backpacking (WAS Newly Introduced)
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 22:00:46 -0000
Eric,

        I'm weighing in here, with Digest Delay. The time lag is a bit of a
bore, but whatever...

I don't know about Serious backpacking trips... I've never been interested
in trekking to Nepal or whatever, but I spent ten years or so working (or
not working) for money to spend time in the hills here in Scotland. Usually
up to ten days or so without coming back out. All seasons, all weather. My
OM1n, 28/3.5, 50/1.8 and 75-150/4 all went with me, along with my stock of
Kodachrome 64. I've always tried to avoid disaster, but have still managed
to abuse them every way short of total immersion in salt water.

As I said, the OM1n got a service last year all the way over there at
Camtech, but the equipment has stood up to snow, ice, drought, flood, river
crossings, rock climbing, a couple of pretty scary falls and numerous drops
from head height. No dents to speak of, nothing ever broke and everything
still works. The one environment I haven't tested them in is very high
humidity. I suspect this is the worst thing for them. Even in 'no shade'
conditions in Morocco they didn't flinch. Lowest temperature was probably
Braemar, early eighties, around -24. The meter still worked.

I reckon they're pretty tough.

Donald.

Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS
www.bigmac1st.freeserve.co.uk