Re: [OM] newly introduced

Subject: Re: [OM] newly introduced
From: ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 00:05:17 +0100

I'n not sure who said to buy other equipment than Oly ones (maybe Tom
Scales), but I would like to spend some word on this.
When I joined the list some weeks ago I not presented myself, and this is a
good time. Some 20 years ago, when I was only 14 or 15 I bought my first
camera, and it was a new OM-1n. The reason of this choise was because my
dad also had an OM-1 with 2 lenses (50/1.8 and 135/3.5), so I could use his
lenses, and because it is a mechanical camera, and since I was interested
in astronomy, I could use it for doing astrophotos without consuming
batteries. After some time I found an used 135/2.8 lens and I took it. In
these years I became interested also in "normal" photography, so I bought
also a 50/1.8 and a 28/2.8 (both used). For many years I didn't have money
to add other lenses to my equipment, even if I really wanted a longer tele.
So, when I started to earn more money (3 years ago) I had a hard think
about to leave Olympus and pass to another system or to buy Oly again.
Guess? I stayed with my OM-1n! And I found in some months an 300/4.5, a
21/3.5 and an OM-4, and after I switched the 28/2.8 with a 28/2.
All this story to say that my first camera had only one repair in 20 years,
and was because the meter became not very accurate (-0.5 stop, little
error, but could be seen on slides). I use my equipment a lot (but not
abuse), and all is working correctly, even the oldest things, so my
recommendation is to buy the camera you like (every model has its own
peculiarity), it would sure be with you for many years.

Ralf

P.S. This list is great, I love it, but it is very dangerous: in the last
month I bought an OM-10 with a 50/1.8 and a 35-70/3.5-4.5 for my
girlfriend, and a 50 macro for me, and I want a flash, a 100/2, a....