Re: [OM] My KC-135 TOPE1 experience (kinda long)

Subject: Re: [OM] My KC-135 TOPE1 experience (kinda long)
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 22:16:59 -0800
>Great story, Mark.  All that detail about fluid dynamics!  Oh, and your
>experiment is interesting, too.  The shot is well done; I look forward to
>more.

Haha!  Thanks.  I could have put a bit more in too :)  I personally have
never been (un)lucky enough to conduct a "secondary fluids experiment,"
but I have observed many others do so :)

>Tom is really a selfless guy.  After risking his 16/3.5 with you on the
>Comet, he loaned me a 21/3.5 which I am going to place in a wooden box
>shortly and use to photograph a missile launch - with a remote release
>because of the hazard from debris falling from an adjacent missile intercept
>makes it too dangerous for anyone to be outside the trailers.

Yep, it isn't everyone who will send many hundreds of dollars worth of
lenses to people they barely know!  Make sure you put a protective filter
on the 21/3.5 ;-)  There actually wasn't as much stuff floating around
the KC-135 as I thought there might be.  I snagged a notebook once, but
otherwise it was pretty good.  The funniest floating debris I've heard of
was a whole bunch of zip ties floating around like the ants in the
Simpsons episode where Homer goes into space.  The most dangerous I've
heard of was floating X-Acto knives!

Good luck with shooting the launch!

Mark Marr-Lyon