Re: [OM] learning guides?

Subject: Re: [OM] learning guides?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 18:37:26 +0000
At 16:03 3/3/01, Eric Jackson wrote:
Hey guys, another question for you. How did you guys learn to capture life the way you saw it on a camera? What is the best way to fully understand an OM camera and how to use it? I realize use and experience are vital but are there any techniques or guides to learning the system a little early. Seeing that I don't have my own OM yet I'm wondering if there are any good manuals or guides, even videos that you would recommend to someone interested in learning. Thanks

Eric,
Welcome to the list. Some here will see this as heresy: the camera system is a set of tools used to achieve what you envision for an image. Which you use is whatever works best for you. You will find us touting the OM as working best for us . . . for most (or all) of what we do. I do have hardware other than OM for specific purposes . . . more notably a growing medium format system. The photographer envisions and makes an image . . . the hardware enables it. Three basic axioms I work to:

(1) Photography is all about light. It's the only thing film reacts to and records.

2) "Make" a photograph versus "taking" one. This implies a different mode of thinking. "Taking" one accepts what you find where you find it. "Making" one optimizes things the you can control to create an image.

(3) Define first why you are making an image . . . what it is to convey to its viewer(s) and who it is for (its intended audience). It will help you envision what you want the image to be and the tool(s) used for making it.

Some excellent books I've seen or read over the past few years that can help learn the art of composition, and science of optics, exposure and film:

(1) "How to Take Great Photographs With Any Camera" by Jerry Hughes, Phillip Lane Publishing, Dallas, Texas, 1992-1999 ISBN: 0-9634348-9-6. This book is one of the best I've seen for beginners with heavy emphasis on composition techniques and plenty of photographs to demonstrate them.

(2) "The Complete Photographer" by Andreas Feininger; Prentice-Hall Inc.
Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1965, Library of Congress 65-12017. This is an old book you will most likely find in a library or get from a used book dealer who can search for it. Andreas was a photographer for Life Magazine, and it discusses very wide range of technical topics.

(3) "The Camera" by Ansel Adams; Little, Brown and Company, Boston, Massachussetts, 1980, ISBN 0-8212-2184-1 PB. There have been many reprints of this and it's still in publication. Required reading for serious college courses in photography. This book contains advanced technical topics. Any bookstore should be able to order it for you.

(4) "The Negative" by Ansel Adams; Little, Brown and Company, Boston, Massachussetts, 1981, ISBN 0-8212-2186-8 PB. Same comments as for "The Camera," it's the second volume of his trilogy.

(5) "The Print" by Ansel Adams; Little, Brown and Company, Boston, Massachussetts. Same comments as for "The Camera" and it's the third volume of his trilogy. This one is of use if you have your own darkroom, are processing the film yourself, and making your own prints.

-- John