Re: [OM] NGM Advertisements dedicated to Mr Maitani

Subject: Re: [OM] NGM Advertisements dedicated to Mr Maitani
From: "k.matsumoto" <GHA02260@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:33:44 +0900
> You know what I'm thinking? I'm thinking that Olympus is only
> keeping theOM system alive while Mr. Maitani is still alive.
> (snip) Any of the Japanese members of this list like to comment?

Somebody reported to the OM BBS in Japan about what he heard from an
Olympus employee recently at the service station:

*Olympus no longer makes profit by selling OM gear.

*Production lines are run only a few times a year.

*They are too busy with digital cameras so they don't have enough
manpower to develop new equipment for film SLR cameras.

*They won't make a SLR wunderbrick system because the market is
small and Olympus has to pay too much for patents.

*They reproduced battery chamber lids for OM707 because so many of
them get damaged.

*They recently considered about reproducing about 5,000 prisms for
OM-1/2 but decided not because such service will become endless and
the cost for one prism would be about 40 USD.

*They cannot quit selling OM because they feel responsibility to the
OM users.

So I hope the OM system is alive while WE are alive...

kazuya matsumoto