Re: [OM] ........not again.......

Subject: Re: [OM] ........not again.......
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 21:15:19 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, John A. Lind wrote:

> Careful with this advice!  Know what you're doing with mail headers if you
> do this so that you get the source correct.

One should never do things if one does not know what he's doing. That's
common sense, and thus I didn't think to mention.

> A number of them have come
> through the list which will contain the IP's of the email servers
> associated with distributing the OM list too!

True.

>  Also, the originating
> machines are infected with the worm.  Their owners do not know they're
> sending this suff.

No, but they *should* then be informed to remove the problem from their
machines. I guess that's in both their and others interrest.

> Apparently the OM list server is truncating the file attachments to 0k
> (completely empty; nothing there) which is a Good Thing.  (Applicable to
> only the stuff coming through the list.)  I don't believe MajorDomo, the
> email list software running the OM list is capable of blocking a single
> "subject" or "from" address in the headers.

I am not here to second-guess the people running the list and the
hosting machine and suggest how they do their job (they do a splendid
job for all I know). I merely meant to suggest what recipients of spam
could do (and - imho - should do).

However this is getting way off topic, and I will leave the topic
rest (or take it up in personal correspondance?)

--thomas

> At 10:03 3/4/01, you wrote:
> >Two easy steps:
> >
> >         1) Fire off a complaint to abuse@ and postmaster@ any and all
> >            domains in the msg. header and their immediate upstreams
> >            (traceroute is your friend here)
> >
> >         2) a suitable filter in your .procmailrc (or whatever your
> >            mail-system supports) and you will never see such mails again.
> >
> >The somewhat harder step:
> >
> >         Convince your local BOFH to subscribe to the Real Time Blackhole
> >         (or other such mechanism) and thus filter out mail from spamming,
> >         spam-friendly and open mail relays.
> >
> >--thomas
> >
> >(who's getting SO off-topic here, but hotel-rooms are booring on sundays)

Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering