Is Olympus a good choice for a newcomer? - was Re: [OM] newly introduced

Subject: Is Olympus a good choice for a newcomer? - was Re: [OM] newly introduced
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:24:50 -0800 (PST)
Tom wrote:
> I don't think the OM family is your best choice.
> While we all use and love the equipment, it is at the end of its
life.
> There are not going to be new features, bodies, lenses, etc.
> What you see is what you get.  As much as I like OM (and you'll
> soon discover from the list that I may have the zuikoholism
> disease worse than anyone), I wouldn't recommend it to you.
> Look at something else - Canon, Nikon, etc. for a long-life choice.
I've owned and enjoyed OMs since Olympus had its heyday, some 19 years
ago, and I still have my trusty Om-2S and OM-2n. But I, too, would
hesitate to recommend a newcomer to start into OM now, for the reasons
Tom mentions. This does beg the question, though: for those who don't
want auto-focus, what other choice is there these days: Nikon, Contax,
Leica, ... ?

Regards,

=====
Ray