Re: [OM] What I'd like to see in the next OM (dreaming)

Subject: Re: [OM] What I'd like to see in the next OM (dreaming)
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 15:53:16 +0100
Yo,

on Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:44:18 -0800 (PST), Ray Moth wrote:

>Hm, I actually see it as a significant advantage that the OMs other
>than the 1 use small, light, readily available and relatively
>inexpensive silver cells instead of the big, heavy, readily available
>and extremely expensive 3 V lithium cells most newer cameras require.
>And the batteries in the OMs usually last longer than the lithiums in
>the other cameras, too.
>Try buying silver oxide batteries in Asia! It's easier to look for
>hens' teeth. The C1/3N 3v. lithium cells have some advantages over
>silver oxide, such as: long shelf life (about 10 years is claimed);
>more and more cameras are using them (= high availability); light
>weight (why do you say they're heavy?)

Well, when I read lithium I was thinking of the CR-3 (or so) cells needed
for my mju II. One of them is certainly much bigger and heavier than a bunch
of the SG-13 cells I use in my OMs. The CR-3s are also used in many other
modern cameras, including Oly's IS-series (my IS-1000 needs 2 of them). And
I've had some SG-13s in my refrigerator for several years, and they still
work just fine.

>One C1/3N lithium cell takes up exactly the same space as two silver
>oxide cells; they're physically interchangeable but, for some odd
>reason, the OM-2S doesn't like Lithium. Makes feeding my 2S a problem
>in Indonesia!

I buy the SG-13s mail order here, at about US $ 2.35 a 4-pack, plus sh. So
for the price of a CR-3 I can get about 8 - 12 SG-13s, depending on where I
buy the CR-3s.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--