Re: Is Olympus a good choice for a newcomer? - was Re: [OM] newly introd

Subject: Re: Is Olympus a good choice for a newcomer? - was Re: [OM] newly introduced
From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:22:48 -0500
> Tom wrote:
> > I don't think the OM family is your best choice.
> > While we all use and love the equipment, it is at the end of its
> life.  I wouldn't recommend it to you.
> > Look at something else - Canon, Nikon, etc. for a long-life choice.
Ray replied:
I, too, would hesitate to recommend a newcomer to start into OM now, for the
reasons
> Tom mentions. This does beg the question, though: for those who don't
> want auto-focus, what other choice is there these days: Nikon, Contax,
> Leica, ... ?

Somebody must be paying those high prices for old Leicas, and the Nikon F2
has become a sort of cult camera.  If it weren't so blasted heavy, I might
have bought one instead of starting my Oly system at this late date (only a
year ago).  Yes, there's risk, but I don't want a plastic camera, or--worse
yet--a lens with a plastic mount.  And I can't afford lenses I'd have to
take out a 2nd mortgage to buy (Contax, Leica).  I *do* want simplicity for
most applications, not all the programmed, matrixed this and that.  And it's
amazing to me that you can put together a nice Oly kit so cheaply.  I missed
the original post in this thread, so I don't know if the person that asked
the original question gave his (or her) age.  Tom and Ray's concerns would
be relevant to a young person, maybe, but at my age, my Oly's will probably
outlast me.
JP