Re: [OM] Digital film

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital film
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 14:07:10 -0800
In a message dated 3/6/2001 "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

<< Yes, most commercial digital print are below 400ppi, I heard the new
Fuji
Frontier is 275ppi, the Agfa is around 350ppi, the old Fuji Pictography
is
400ppi max depends on your input file. Scan them at high resolution does
not
help, 600dpi should be enough. >>

The best digital prints I have heard of so far are actually only ~300dpi
(Lightjet digital enlarger on to Crystal Archive paper). 304.8dpi to be
exact ;-) Check out this lab: http://calypsoinc.com/

I used them for Cibachromes years ago and they no longer offer that
service because they claim to produce *better* prints now digitally.
Hard to argue with their customer list. They also claim aproximately 50%
greater enlargement capability with this process than could be achieved
with conventional photographic process (Ilfo/Cibachrome).

The Olympus Dye-sub printers are 300dpi. For Epson inkjet printing you
only need 240dpi. Keep in mind, 300dpi/ppi is still a whole bunch of
pixels if you're printing a large print (like some of the banners
Calypso produces).

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com