RE: [OM] Re: [OT] DOS history

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: [OT] DOS history
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 20:02:49 -0500
Cc: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At 7:28 PM -0500 3/6/01, Brian P. Huber wrote:

If I remember right, Gary Kildall(DR pres.) blew off the IBM people when
they came to talk about CP/M and IBM.  He was out flying his plane.

This is only coincidentally accurate, according to a friend who worked
there -- what really happened was that Kildall's people took a look at
IBM's nondisclosure agreement, which was basically a lien on first-born
children, and decided it would be best if Kildall were unavailable. Gates
had a) no significant OS business to endanger in the short term by signing
and b) no intention of complying in the long term, hence...

This is WAY off the track, but at the time Apple was getting going, the
company I worked for was one of the original Apple OEM's. We used them as an
early data acquisition device.  First product was Apple, then we added a
Cromemco Z-80-based system.
The Z-80 (2MHz) was twice the speed of the Apple!

Only sort of, since the Apple's 6502 could do some operations in two
clock cycles, but almost everything on a Z-80 took four cycles...

ObOM: when I first became a tech journalist, I took pictures for a
computer article with my OM-1

paul
Brian P. Huber

Nick,
        Thanks for the info. What you mention is essentially
what I was told
by members of the Sysops association I belonged too and what
I have since
read. The extent of my programing was modifying insert files
for Modem 7 and
IMP. In regards to the CP/M plagiarism, Digital Research was
very tight with
CP/M. They did not care to have any copies made that were not
paid for. That
is also one of the reason that IBM had difficulties dealing
with them. Seattle
Software had a valid license for CP/M and that is what
Microsoft bought and
sold to IBM. I was a CP/M diehard, probably something to do with my
intelligence level or not having better sense to read the
writing on the wall.

Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx