Re: [OM] OT eBay comment

Subject: Re: [OM] OT eBay comment
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:33:20 +1100
>> I really think that alot of people on Ebay are clueless about the
>> value of things.  I recently had been bidding on some telescope stuff
>> (3 items).  After a while, the bidding went $25, $10, and $8 above
>> what you could get them for NEW (and this is before shipping!!!!).
>> Why anyone would bid on something without knowing the price of the
>> item new really astounds me.
>>
>> Anyone else with similar stories of stupidity?

Once saw a auction for a very minor Bogen/Manfrotto bit (Backdrop clamp I
think) in the bag with a store sticker on it clearly showing a price of
$14.95. Bidding went to almost thirty dollars. Even if it was old stock,
that seems bizarre.
Some items can be hard to find in some areas, but the competitive urge
seems to be what eBay is all about - haven't seen any real bargains in ages
and people who get bargains seem to be those who are prepared to take a
chance. At this distance I'm not. Items that are well enough displayed and
described to remove doubt and worry get good prices.
Andrew