Re: [OM] Digital film

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital film
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 11:49:47 +0800

Hans-Joachim Busch wrote:

> Hello Frieder and C.H.!
>
> 2048x2048 is not so bad, about phot-CD base16, but indeed far away from the
> film´s capability.

Photo CD is 3Kx2K can be said close to what you have, but I didn't
know why yours is square format.

> The DIGIPINTS are printed digital with a solution of 300 dpi, i believe (a
> medium printing quality) and you get indeed no more "information" if scanned
> with 1200 dpi, but the solution of the print is smooth and not "pixelised".
> Do a scan, and you will see!!

300dpi print is very good to me, I'm not always use 10x lupe to view
print ;-) Depends on the output deivce, the Fuji Frontier has
pixelised output, the AGFA print does not, my Polaroid film recorder
is also very smooth. But 600dpi scan for such print is already more
than enough.

> I don´t know, how it is printed or scanned, but the quality is much higher
> than KODAK´s photo CD especially for contrast and color-truth. With
> conventional prints this dimension I can´t see any better solution ore
> sharpnes but worse colors and contrast. Quality of negativ-film is as good,
> but I prefer reversal film becaus I want to be the master of the colors and
> not the lab.

Photo CD is not that bad, I heard it is optimized to view at TV, when
Kodak first introduced it they have some Photo CD players to go with,
expected people will enjoy the print with the player on TV. If you
want to make good quality print you have to adjust the gamma value and
may also need some level adjustment.

> And:
> we are speaking about digital film! That means, you will work with it with
> your computer and print with your printer. Higher solution you can´t handle
> with a home-equipment (150 or 55 MB up to 700MB for the session). And my
> printer can print with up to 2400 dpi, but this solution drops dramatic
> down, if you want a true-color-print because the printer has to dither. A
> real photography or photografic print is not dithered with only 3, 4 or 5
> colors but realy true color!! A friend of mine does professional scanning
> and printing up to 10x20 METERS. He has no loss of quality with a scan, but
> his scanners weight is about 2000kg. Doesn´t fit to my desk! To Yours?

Can't catch you meaning, we are talking about your scanning resolution
is overkilled. A 25MB file should be good enough for A4 inkjet print.

C.H.Ling

<snip>