RE: [OM] Re: [OT] DOS history

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: [OT] DOS history
From: John F Wheeler <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:57:14 +1100
Back in the late sixties when I had a small engineering company we were
running a DEC pdp-8 computer for producing programs on paper tape for NC
machine tools. It had an ASR-33 teletype as its I/O (10cps paper tape punch
and reader made assembling code a somewhat tedious adventure). When we
upgraded to our first hard disk in 1971 it was one and a half MB, measured
19" wide and took two of us to lift it!

That HDD had a DOS (OS-8) which I believe was the template for CP/M. The
two were certainly very similar in syntax etc.

Regards,

John.