Re: [OM] photography schools

Subject: Re: [OM] photography schools
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 01:05:22 -0500
Eric,

I certainly agree with George.  If you want to take a photo course, go to a community college for some hands on work with a darkroom or digital editing.  The best learning experiences will come if you go out and take pictures and keep all the information about aperture and shutter speed, time of day, lens used, and what you were trying to make from the image.

Look at lots of photos and figure out what was happening with the camera.  Read the information given with the photos, especially if it is something that you would like to learn to do, or if you really don't like the results (so you won't make the same mistake).  Check the T.O.P.E events and the ADITL events for lots of online help.

Gregg

George wrote:
In general, I'm very skeptical of these schools. I'm sure there are fine
ones, but you could teach yourself with the right choice of books from a
larger library. Any of the ones that were recently recommended here would be
a good start. Anything by Ansel Adams is considered 'religion' and a good
start for you. Once you get into photography further, you may find a camera
club can give you much (free) information.
OTOH, I have taken a Nikon sponsored weekend course or two and been very very
pleased with the experience. One of my best experiences was the one with Art
Wolfe as one of the advisors for the weekend. And he was totally availabe and
approachable the entire time, certainly not a 'guest appearance' as I was
expecting.
(I TOLD you I was the skeptical sort).
(In general my advice is to keep your money for the future purchases that we
ALL know will come soon..... [sinister laugh....] )

George S.

ejackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

hey guys,
i recieved a catalog i requested from the Rocky Mountain School of
Photography. Have any of you guys heard of this insititute and what are
your opinions on it?  Also, are schools or programs like this worth the
money they charge? just wondering
EJ