Re: [OM] OM707 a good buy? / Can Oly AF Lenses be used on OM

Subject: Re: [OM] OM707 a good buy? / Can Oly AF Lenses be used on OM
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:49:26 EST
erwin.voogt@xxxxxx writes:

> Hi,
>
>  I can buy a OM707 (OM77) + flash-grip + AF 35-70/3.5-4.5 for about $60.
>  The AF 50/1.8 will cost about $40.
>
>  Although this is very cheap I don't know if I will ever use the camera.
>  Does anyone of you have experience with this camera? Is it worth having it
>  next to a bag full of OM stuff and bodies?
>  How does the camera operate in low light conditions?
>  And is there some way to connect a remote control or something like that?
>
>  By the way: the AF 35-70/3.5-4.5 is definitely the same lens as the Zuiko
>  35-70/3.5-4.5.
>
>  Erwin Voogt
>  Utrecht, The Netherlands
>  http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html

Erwin,
Perhaps the best thing about that set up is the AF 35-70/3.5-4.5 lens, which
as you noted is the same as the Zuiko of that aperture. This makes is a very
sharp but heavy point and shoot. There are three Olympus lens that are unique
to the OM line: 50/2.8 macro, 28-85 zoom and 70-210 zoom. Apparently the
latter zoom is a fine performer. These lens won't fit on an OM MF body.

Exposure compensation is a problem but if you note the exposure and point it
at the sky or a dark place it does have exposure lock so you can, after a
fashion, do exposure compensation. I don't remeber the specs but it seems
that it will expose up to 30 seconds. It is not possible to remote the
camera, although it does have a self-timer.

It will take your regular MF lens but you have no idea what the exposure will
be. It has a program system built in similar to the OM-2S.

The first thing to go bad in these is the battery door or the clips that hold
in the battery door. There are no more flash grips available.

Warren