Re: [OM] mirror lock up-where did it go?

Subject: Re: [OM] mirror lock up-where did it go?
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:33:50 -0400

"Ian A. Nichols" wrote:

> I'm a little frustrated by this myself.  Given an electronic shutter
> release, it ought to be fairly trivial.  And Pentax managed to do it
> properly with their (now rather elderly) 6x7 SLR.
>
> I guess it's a feature not much in demand and therefore not implemented.
> It would be used a lot more (and missed a lot more on cameras without
> it) if it were there.  That and a quicker shutter are the only
> improvements you could possibly make to an OM-4.

A think a big part of it is a marketing analysis. The camera
manufacturer figures that the people that want MLU fall into the "pro"
or "advanced amateur" category. So the camera manufacturer puts out 2
levels of bodies, the amateur/low-end SLRs, and the "pro" SLRs. There's
usually a significant feature jump when you go to the "pro" line. That
being said, I thought that Nikon's FM3A was aimed at that market.

I suppose a lot also deals with how many other features are on their
higher-end bodies. The more of those features that they put on a
lower-end "pro" body, the less sales they get for their expensive top of
the line model.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx