fwd Re: [OM] newly introduced-backpacking

Subject: fwd Re: [OM] newly introduced-backpacking
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 21:54:41 +0000
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 22:38:04 -0500
From: M Jennings <mrjlmj@xxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [OM] newly introduced-backpacking

Eric,

First, OM cameras are still fairly common in Alaska and Stewart's Photo S=
hop in Anchorage usually has a few used items in stock including a 600/6.=
5 not too long ago.  Now, as a guy who lives in Florida and works in Alas=
ka, I can tell you that ten days is not going to be enough to drive there=
=2E  With your interest in photography, and the fact that northwestern Ca=
nada has spectacular scenery as well as Alaska, you're kidding yourself i=
f you think you'll be able to drive straight through without getting dist=
racted.  You'll need a lot of film.

Forget AAA, the name of the book you need is "The Milepost".  Its the bib=
le for traveling in northwest Canada and Alaska.  It tells you everything=
 you need to know about roads, lodging, gas, side-trips, everything.  Inc=
luding the fact that Canada won't let you enter to drive through to Alask=
a unless you have a certain amount of cash on hand, per person.  They don=
't want you to break down and become a burden on them.  Don't bring guns =
either.  You can buy The Milepost at the big-box bookstores or at www.the=
milepost.com ($24.95).  That should be your first investment from which y=
ou can plan the trip.  It even comes with a foldout map.

While the roads are generally pretty decent, theres always construction t=
o slow you, not to mention the endless procession of RVs headed north for=
 the summer to fish and drive slow.  You'll have at least one flat tire, =
probably more, and you can count on a crack or two in your windshield fro=
m passing trucks throwing gravel.  Never fails.  If you don't mind campin=
g, you can do it cheaply.  Food and lodging gets expensive in the peak to=
urist months.  Bought 87 gas in Tok two weekends ago at $1.99/gallon and =
it only gets worse the further out you are.  Its worse in Canada.

Large mosquitos (state bird) abound in the early summer.  If you go in Ma=
y, June, or July, you won't need lanterns or flashlights, don't bring the=
m.  You really need three weeks to do this roundtrip from Chicago and fee=
l like you had time to enjoy it.  Have you thought about flying from Detr=
oit or Minneapolis, they have direct flights to Anchorage on Northwest.  =
Then rent a car when you get there from Ugly Duckling.  You don't need 4-=
wheel drive in the summer.

I used to live there, my wife was raised there, and my father-in-law used=
 to own an inn in Anchorage.  I can answer lots of your travel related qu=
estions.  Email me off-list if you want.  Good luck planning.

Mark Jennings