Re: Double exposures (was: Re: [OM] Nikon School)

Subject: Re: Double exposures (was: Re: [OM] Nikon School)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 02:28:26 +0000
At 08:30 3/9/01, Thomas Clausen wrote:
In fact, the best double-exposure I think I have seen is the one at
TOPE1. Forgot who the gentleman is, but in his picture he's evidently
gambling with himself over Zuiko-glass.

How many of you guys actually take double-exposures? And how much do you
take?

Gee . . . thanks!
That was my first attempt at it. Took four shots and that one was the best. There was a bit of a "pizza run" to get into position through another doorway while a timer was counting down. In retrospect I would do it a bit differently (unclutter background more).

That's the only one I've ever done, but have had some ideas for others using masks for split images. One of the more popular involves a subject looking at themself in a mirror with one set of clothes, usually plain or ultra-casual, and the reflection showing another set of clothes, usually formal or wedding attire. This is popular for bridal and prom portraits, with some graduation stuff. Another I've seen splits the image at a corner, about 2/3 of the area in the lower half and about 1/3 area in an upper corner. The larger, lower part is a portrait, usually a profile, and the upper part another smaller portrait of another person. If the upper one is done "soft" (meaning slightly washed out and/or soft-focused) it can create an image of one person thinking/dreaming about another. There are masks for doing these that fit both the Cokin A and P series filter holders.

This type of double-exposure uses a fairly tight aperture, normal exposure setting, and a mask to do each part of the image separately. The critical part is keeping in one part or the other anything that will not be in both parts. Other than using a normal exposure setting, the method for cocking the shutter without winding the film is the same.

This might generate some ideas for others on the list.

-- John