[OM] Re: KEH Bargains

Subject: [OM] Re: KEH Bargains
From: Pawel Golik <pgolik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 14:44:26 -0500
> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 21:06:35 -0500
> From: "Bob Whitmire" <rlw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] KEH Bargains
>
> Had a discussion with one of the nice folks at KEH a while back. Told her
> that when it came to lenses I was interested in functionality rather than
> appearance. She said the Bargain category was just my ticket. I asked her
> if Bargain grade meant the glass was good, if less than perfect in
> appearance, and she assured me it was. For those who have actually bought
> Bargain from KEH and other outlets, are they speaking truth? Do these
> lenses do the job even if they don't look so good? I don't much care if
> there's crap in the glass as long as it doesn't degrade picture quality,
> and the Bargain prices sure are right.

Depends, of the two lenses I bought from KEH as bargain (a 50mm f1.8 and a
75-150 f4) both have good glass, but the 75-150 zoom has focusing adjustment
off (doesn't focus at infinity). It does take good pictures at other
distances though, so the glass is OK, I'll try to adjust the focusing one
day. So, glass should be good, but check the mechanical condition, especially
with zooms. I'm wondering about their bargain 35-70 f3.6 myself, but I'm a
bit cautios - this lens has lots of precision mechanics in it.
        Hope this helps
        Pawel