Re: [OM] Are OM-2S Circuits Getting A Bad Rap?

Subject: Re: [OM] Are OM-2S Circuits Getting A Bad Rap?
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:04:47 -0800 (PST)
My OM-2S looks like it has had a thousand rolls of
film run through it.  And you know what?  It actually
has had around a thousand rolls run through it.

Reliable?  Absolutely!  Problems?  ASA dial.  Battery
consumption?  Normal--I go through 2-4 sets a year.  A
whole lot less since the flash conversion was done.

The OM-2S is, in my humble opinion, superior to the
OM-4(ti) in handheld photography and E-6 photography.
The OM-4(ti) has an edge with the multispot metering
in B&W and complex lighting conditions.

The viewfinder is brighter than the OM-4's (except for
the data display).

Program mode?  It has it's place.  It works best when
using focal lengths in the 35-135mm range and can be a
tremendous help when working in a fast changing
environment where your health is more important than
twiddling with knobs.

Funny thing is that you wouldn't buy a new camera
today that doesn't have at least six different program
modes.  Frankly, the program mode is
semi-user-adjustable for higher speeds anyway.

If it is any indication, I've owned an OM-1md, OM-2md
and a OM-2S.  I sold the OM-1md and the OM-2md and
kept the OM-2S.  I did, however, just buy an OM-4 from
Tom.  Any percieved battery consumption problems are
more than offset by the superior metering capability
of the OM-2S over the OM-2n.

Don't worry about reliability.  We're talking about 15
year old cameras here.  If it croaks?  Replace it with
another bargain.  Any new professional grade camera is
going to cost you a minimum of $1000.  I figure that I
can go through a used OM-2S every two years and still
come out on top.  Fortunately, I've only needed to CLA
mine periodically.

Brassing is a good thing, too.  I would rather get a
15 year old camera that is proven to have worked
reliably than a questionable closet queen.

Although, british racing green would look good if I
had it repainted.

Ken N.