Re: [OM] KEH Bargains

Subject: Re: [OM] KEH Bargains
From: P2CON@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:48:47 EST
Jay writes:

<< Absolutely. I've *never* been disappointed with stuff I've bought from KEH
 in BGN or better condition; what they call BGN other sellers will rate as EX
 or better. Don't overlook the UG stuff, too; it's sometimes cheap enough to
 take a flyer on, and I've had some very pleasant surprises there. >>

I generally do not like to jump in on this type of thread as I feel the
company's reputation is pretty much OK, and I do not want to damage it.
However I once ordered an OM 4T "Bargain" from them, and when it arrived my
personal assessment was "ugly, ugly, ugly".  It was really dirty and the Ti
finish was almost non-existant. It was fully functional, just very unpleasant
to look at. It went back immediately with a note as to why I was returning
it, and a couple of weeks later it showed up in their net catalogue as "ugly"
and about $100 less than I paid.

I later bought a 135mm/f3.5 "ugly" to use for parts.  I needed a lens mount
to replace the one on a 75-150 that had been dropped. I paid $10 plus
shipping and it arrived looking almost mint except for a dime-sized circular
scratch on the front element. The mount worked fine on the 75-150 except for
looking a little funny due to the depth-of-field scale markings on the mount
that are not there on a normal 75-150.

I will continue to do business with KEH whenever they have something I "need"
to feed my addiction, as they do stand behind their claims of fair dealing.

Regards, Paul Connet