Re: [OM] Are OM-2S Circuits Getting A Bad Rap?

Subject: Re: [OM] Are OM-2S Circuits Getting A Bad Rap?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:40:14 +0000
At 18:04 3/12/01, Ken Norton wrote:

Don't worry about reliability.  We're talking about 15
year old cameras here.  If it croaks?  Replace it with
another bargain.  Any new professional grade camera is
going to cost you a minimum of $1000.  I figure that I
can go through a used OM-2S every two years and still
come out on top.  Fortunately, I've only needed to CLA
mine periodically.

Absolutely.  U.S. (not gray market) prices new:
  OM-4Ti:     $1200
  OM-3Ti:     $1500
  F-3H:       $1400

  Ti FM-2n:    $800
  Black FM-2n: $500
Not certain if you consider the FM-2n a pro body or not; more like the OM-1[n] in features, it is mechanical shuttered and manual exposure control (no AE and no spot metering). I'd rather have an OM-1n than an FM-2n!

My acquisition of an OM-2S was relatively recent. It has impressed me as being the same kind of materials and build as the OM-4 without some of the more complex metering features. In pure aperture priority AE, it functions for me just like an OM-4. I do wish it could use center-weighted metering in manual exposure mode but don't consider that a serious limitation.

--John