Re: [OM] Duty on imports into the US

Subject: Re: [OM] Duty on imports into the US
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 00:16:11 +0000
This depends on what the camera item is and how the Harmonized Tariff Schedule is interpreted by whoever in U.S. Customs is reading it at the time. It's organized by commodity as only Uncle Sam could do. There are a lot of exemptions for import from Canada to the U.S. for one reason or another (usually NAFTA).

Camera stuff should come under Section XVIII, Chapter 90:
http://dataweb.usitc.gov/SCRIPTS/tariff/toc_page_1.html#section_18

Requires Adobe Acrobat to read Chapter 90. Don't ask me to interpret this document for you. I only claim to know what it is, not how to read it the same way U.S. Customs would. For example, if you were sending me a used Zuiko lens that had been imported from Japan to Canada and sold retail in Canada, I don't know whether they would consider it as being from Canada or from Japan.

-- John