Re: [OM] Duty on imports into the US

Subject: Re: [OM] Duty on imports into the US
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:55:47 -0700
First, let me thank everyone who replied to my query.  The prospective
buyer who asked the question must've liked your answers because he
tooks the "Buy it Now!" route and is now the proud owner of an
Olympus 35SP!

But, to continue the topic for a moment....

On 13 Mar 2001, at 0:30, Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx wrote:

> >  FedEx's "customs fee" is *their* charge for schlepping it through
> > U.S./Canada customs (filling out the forms etc.).  It's not duty.
>
> UH oh, I am going to dig out the bill they sent and see what I did actually
> pay for,  It was above and beyond shipping.

I didn't know that FedEx charges a "brokerage fee" for schlepping stuff
through customs, but UPS definately does.  I once got nailed by UPS
for CDN$35 "brokerage fee" on a parcel from the States that was only
valued at CDN$110.  When I complained, UPS said they'd sell my
camera to recover their fee!  Lesson learned...  NEVER ship ANYTHING
out fo the country via UPS!!!

Thanks, again, gang, for the wonderful and timely advice!

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  Anybody got a 35-RC in decent shape they wanna sell???  :-)

---
Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill