[OM] An update on the condition of my sick lenses and a request for some

Subject: [OM] An update on the condition of my sick lenses and a request for some advice.
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:32:23 -0000
Cc: erwin.voogt@xxxxxx, j.korten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx, bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx, cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx, o.greve@xxxxxxx
Hi,

Many of you will probably still remember that my 300/4.5, which I obtained for little money thanks to Brian Huber, was sick. In fact, it previously only suffered from two tiny fungus specks, but in a caring attempt by yours truly to cure the patient, I actually made the situation worse. Indeed, I managed to damage the second element when counted from the front, and I also found that even in a bathroom, it's virtually impossible to prevent dust from entering the lens. To make matters worse, I could not reach the fungus, and the two halves of the lens have been glued together (probably the lens has been cleaned before by a previous owner, who then dumped the lens after seeing the fungus re-appear?!?). Anyway, I inquired about the possibilities for dissolving the glue that holds the two halves together and aceton was mentioned. In the end, I decided that I'd probably better not try this myself (to not further damage the lens), and I decided to leave the lens as-is. I took several pictures with the lens and neither the fungus, nor the damage on the inner element seems to visibly deteriorate the image quality. Nonetheless, it kept bugging me that the element was damaged, and when I obtained the "NC" (= No Coating :) ) 28/2, I decided that when looking for a replacement element for this lens, I was also going to look for a replacement element for the 300/4.5.

So, the quest for elements was on, and enter Patrick Johnson. Patrick very kindly helped me in obtaining these elements from Oly America. A second 28/2 element has been back-ordered for some 8 months now, so we finally decided to have the available elements shipped to Jaap Korten, so he could repair my lenses already. Happy news: I just learned from Jaap that the 300/4.5 has been repaired and is alive and well! I still have to send the 28/2 (which I'll probably do tomorrow), and then that one can be repaired too. I'm excited already to see the return of the 300/4.5 and the 28/2.

Good, so far for the update on my sick lenses, but now a few small questions. I'm a bit worried about the still present fungus inside the 300/4.5. At present it doesn't seem to grow (at least not visibly) and no image degradation seems to occur because of it. Nonetheless I wonder if there are ways to stop its further growth. I checked with Jaap and in his opinion it may be better to leave the lens as-is, rather than attempting a risky aceton-manouvre. I tend to agree on this, but I wonder if there are *completely safe* ways to kill the fungus without doing any damage to the rest of the lens. From previous threads on the subject, I've gathered that exposing the lens to strong UV light kills off the fungus, hence preventing further growth. Now, for the questions: 1) Can anyone tell me whether exposing the lens to (strong) UV light will absolutely not damage any other parts (such as coating) of the lens? 2) Will a regular "blacklight TL" bar provide the correct type of UV light (I'm aware of the fact that there is both UV-A and UV-B radiation in sun light, but I'm not certain which type(s) the blacklight emits, nor which type I should use to kill the fungus)? 3) If a regular blacklight will do the trick: how long should I more or less expose the lens to it?

Good, I hope someone can help me out here, and Brian: "our" 300/4.5 is apparently doing much better already! :)

Finally, I'd like to take the opportunity to give a big "thank you" to three people: 1) Brian Huber: for his help in getting the 300/4.5 for an excellent price for me, instead of keeping it himself. 2) Patrick Johnson: for all his help in getting the elements from Oly America, as well as for the excellent packaging and shipping of the elements. 3) Jaap Korten: for numerous things, but particularly in this case for curing my sick lenses.

I just wanted to share this good news with you guys. Now, from the Zuiko-sick-bay, this was Olaf Greve, over and out. :)

Cheers!
Olafo