[OM] OM] Duty on imports into the US

Subject: [OM] OM] Duty on imports into the US
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:47:26 -0800
> ..This depends on what the camera item is and how the Harmonized Tariff
> Schedule is interpreted by whoever in U.S. Customs is reading it at the
> time.....

Yes, I think it really is a matter of "interpretation" by the local
custom agent. I recently made a large (for me) purchase in Victoria, BC.
The custom agent wanted proof that the item was actually _made_ in
Canada and not imported into Canada. Even the big red maple leaf decal
wasn't enough, he had to see the manufacturer's name plate. This leads
me to believe that NAFTA only covers items made in the member countries.

Our local customs agents run the gambet from jerks to normal people. The
Tariff schedule is pretty vague in certain areas and if a person were to
do their homework and find a category with no or a low tariff and this
category was broad enough to even remotely include their item then I
would steer the custom agent in this direction by marking it on the
declaration form. The "normal person" will probably let it pass, the
jerk is going to be a jerk.

Mike