Re: [OM] Backpacking w/OM question

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpacking w/OM question
From: mike blayney <mikeblayney@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:05:26 -0800 (PST)
I've tried so many ways of carrying gear with a backpack. I'm no spring chicken
any more but regularly go for day treks. These are pleasure trips and not
specifically photgraphy shoot trips. I've ended up by ruthlessly minimising the
weight I carry and I go for versatility of packaging.

One of the problems is: as the terrain and weather changes, you variously need
the camera immediately to hand, conveniently accessible or tucked away
(preferably in the back pack) during those downpours or hikes through dense
vegetation.

I've ended up using one of those simple top loader bags suitable for one camera
with telephoto. I take my OM2S with 35-70/3.5-4.5 attached and a 24/2.8
underneath. I might substitute a 135/3.5 for the zoom or, if light is likely to
be low, a 50/1.8 for the 24. A couple of filters and some film - that's it!
Well, sometimes I poke an extra lens in the backpack. This bag is variously
slung over my shoulder, attached to the waist harness, clipped with quick
release shackles to the packback or slid into the backpack itself - all
depending on the photo oportunities, weather, terrain etc.

--- Michael Stahulak <mstahulak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, I'm going on a 4 day backpacking trip in the Needles district of
> Canyonlands National Park, my first real backpacking trip. I'm wondering how
> you experienced backpackers out there carry your camera gear (granted that
> the amount of such gear should be minimized). It would seem to need to be
> easily available and safe from rain (yep, it rains in southern Utah,
> especially during backpacking trips, I understand) and other water. I'll
> already be carrying a backpack, so my normal hiking fanny pack won't do
> (plus its not waterproof).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> thanks,
>
> Mike