Re: [OM] Advice wanted on used lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice wanted on used lens
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 06:15:57 EST
In a message dated 3/13/01 11:13:16 PM Pacific Standard Time, atk@xxxxxxxxxx
writes:

> The front and rare element are immaculate and looking through the
>  lens things are very clean just a few specs - however - if you let light
>  reflect off of the front element you can tell that an element just behind
> the
>  front one has been tampered with. I can't really tell if water got in  and
>  dried leaving water marks - there was/is a case of fungus that was later
>  cleaned or something else. Looking through the lens the
marks/discolouration
>  is not visible - letting light bounce off they are clearly on some middle
>  element (it looks like there are three elements near the front of the
barrel

>  (the top most being the one exposed)). My guess is the marks cover 600f
> this
>  middle element. It looks sort of like if you put HARD water on a slide and
> then
>  let it dry as it run off in a single direction - forming mostly vertical
>  line/smudges of light crystalation.

There are two cemented groups in this lens. I would be worried about lens
element separation. Did you pay top dollar for this lens? Did you test it out
on a tripod for sharpness? Do you have anything else to compare it with?

http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif/lensgroup/300mmf45.htm
See the above from the SIF for a lens diagram.

Warren