Re: [OM] Advice wanted on used lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice wanted on used lens
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:23:44 -0600
atk@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The front and rare element are immaculate and looking through the
> lens things are very clean just a few specs - however - if you let light
> reflect off of the front element you can tell that an element just behind
> the front one has been tampered with. I can't really tell if water got in
> and dried leaving water marks - there was/is a case of fungus that was later
> cleaned or something else.

> It looks sort of like if you put HARD water on a slide and then
> let it dry as it run off in a single direction - forming mostly vertical
> line/smudges of light crystalation.

I've often come across fungus that seems to grow along what must have
been smears left when an element was "cleaned".  That's probably what
you're seeing.

The whole front group of the 300mm f/4.5's will unscrew as an assembly
-- you'll need to remove the hood first, and loosen the set screws
underneath.  With the front group out, you can get to the back side of
the third/fourth elements, which are cemented together.

If you're sure that the "marks" (fungus) is in front of this element,
you'll need to unscrew the name ring to remove the first element, then a
second ring to remove the second element (if necessary).