[OM] 300mm lens -- warren

Subject: [OM] 300mm lens -- warren
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:43:59 -0000
Hi,

Looking at the diagram I would say it is the second element from the front - not the cemented pair behind it that has the marks/deposits/fungus/whatever

From personal experience I can tell you that the location of stuff in that
particular lens can be amazingly deceptive. I too have a 300/4.5 which has something on the inside (two tiny fungus specks) and when looking through the front I could have *sworn* that these specks were located on the top of the 2nd element. They weren't. In fact, they weren't on the bottom of the 2nd element either, nor were they on the top of the 3rd element. Then I could not proceed any further, as the two halves of the lens (one needs to unscrew those two halves to work one's way further into the lens) were glued together. I'm still not positive where the fungus is located, but now I assume it's either between the 3rd and the 4th one (i.e. the part which is cemented together) or on the bottom of the 4th part. Either way: I can't reach it, and as (I think) everyone here knows by now I actually managed to damage the 2nd element upon reassembly, as well as introducing more dust into the lens than was present when I openened it.

You need to be very careful with the lens you bought. A DIY cleaning job is not something I would recommend, and having it done by a professional is expensive. Leaving the lens as-is may cause image degradation. In my case I paid $150 for the lens, because of these two tiny fungus specks. The issue with your lens sounds more severe. I would try to get the lens for around $150 because of this damage. Either way, I would say $300 is too much for the lens in the condition you describe...

Having said that, perhaps the image quality doesn't noticably suffer from the problems with your lens. You'd have to test that...

Cheers!
Olafo