Re: [OM] Tamron SP 350mm f5.6 mirror lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 350mm f5.6 mirror lens
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:39:58 +0100
At 05:57 15.03.01 -0800, Gary Reese wrote:
>From the first URL above, it looks to me like the Vivitar 600mm Solid
Cat has pretty significant light loss.

That is to be expected. I believe "Solid Cat" means that the innards of the lens is one big lump of glass, a mangin lens. The corrector is the front surface, the primary mirror is a ground sphere aluminized on the back. There will be quite a few inches of glass to pass through. Anyway, the difference between f/8.0 and f/8.9 is only 0.30 stops. I'd be more concerned about fall-off, because it can't be conpensated for, and there the Vivitar is excellent.

Regards,
Thomas Bryhn