[OM] Re: Backpacking and the 90/2

Subject: [OM] Re: Backpacking and the 90/2
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:44:22 -0800 (PST)
Various comments about backpacking with the 90/2:
> substitute a 100/2.8 and a 25mm extension tube for
> the 90mm and the kit
> becomes even smaller and lighter.

> The 90 is a little heavy to carry but would be nice
> for wildflowers.

> ...it could get banged up...

Why would anybody buy the 90/2 in the first place if
they didn't intend on USING it?  I see no logic in
getting any lens that you are afraid of using.  My
equipment is well used (and shows it).  I wouldn't
have it any other way.  If you are a collector, that
is one thing, but I couldn't imagine getting a 90/2
and even hesitating to pack it with me EVERYWHERE!
I'd sacrifice the toothbrush before leaving the 90/2
home on a backpacking journey.

Although, it is true that you can get excellent
results with the 100/2.8 and extension tubes, having
played with Joel's 90/2 has convinced me that it is so
superior of an optic that I would use it as my sole
lens and leave everything else behind if I had to.

...Meanwhile, lacking the 90/2, I'll continue to
happily use my 100/2.8 on extension tubes, but will
bug Joel repeatably this spring to get together so I
can use his lenses.  <g>  (especially that 35/shift)

Ken N.