Re: [OM] IS 3 vs IS 300

Subject: Re: [OM] IS 3 vs IS 300
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:12:10 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Clemente Colayco" <litefoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "OlympusWebring" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 6:05 AM
Subject: [OM] IS 3 vs IS 300

> What are the differences between the two? Knowing that these cameras are
> well respected by professionals as a near ideal point and shoot, what would
> summarize their strengths and weaknesses?

Hello Clement

Actually iS-300 is the only real point & shoot of these two. iS-3 / iS-3000 is
the top model in the
advanced line, and gives you full control of, and info about shutter speed and
aperture. iS-30 /
iS-300 is the latest iS model and the top model in the simple line. These are
smaller, lighter,
offer less control of exposure and display no shutter speed or aperture number
info. They are both
very nice cameras. It's really more a matter of what kind of photography you're
doing. I have not
used the iS-30 / iS-300, but I've had an iS-3000 for seven years now. It's a
truly amazing camera.
iS-30 was tested in the July '99 issue of Pop Photo, and they rated the
28-110/4.5~5.6 aspherical
zoom lens as "outstanding". The main weakness with the simple line of iS models
is the limited range
of accessories (no possibility to use the optional G40 flash etc.). They do
have advantages though.
For instance the zoom range starts at 28 mm (the advanced line all starts at 35
mm, and must use a
wide converter to reach 28 mm). I fully convinced you'll find the answers to
all of your questions
at Hans' excellent iS/L page. Check out
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/is-series/is-series.htm

Best regards,