Re: [OM] Zuiko 250/2.0: First impressions-Awesome!

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 250/2.0: First impressions-Awesome!
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:57:52 EST
In a message dated 3/16/01 11:08:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I couldn't imagine hand-holding the 350/2.8 for more than a shot or two
 at a time if even that. A racing photographer friend hand-holds his
 Nikk*r 300/2.8 all the time but is much smaller and lighter looking
 (then again...there is the added heft of the F5 it is mounted to).
 Perhaps the 250/2 is slightly easier but at the same weight I doubt it.

 Mike Veglia >>

Garth with his 250/2 and Mike with your 350 may be suprised at handholdable
some of the fast glass is.  Even with converters in a pinch.
Now, this may get some really disbelieving growls but I wanted to put forth
my personal experience with big and heavy lenses.  I have had razor sharp
results handheld with my 350/2.8 +1.4x AND my  C*n*n 400mm f2.8 (15+ lbs!)
with a 1.4x converter.
If you call me a twisted then your mind is closed : ) Let me explain.
Especially with my C*n*n T-90 I can shoot at up to 1/4000 and I do have some
sharp handheld 560mm f4's with the converters.  Think about those shutter
speeds and you know that you can almost stop a speeding bullet it seems so if
I am wavering a tad under the stress of nearly 20 pounds of camera and lens,
1/2000 or so freezes it.
Same can be said for the 350/2.8.  The 350 is half the beast a 400/2.8 is.
 I always try to remember my monopod (the reason I have been stuck
handholding cause I can't remember) or a tripod.  I also like to rely on
using trees, fences, or anything I can lean on.  I shoot alot out of my car
too.
I am also a farm lad and will not deny that I have very good strenth in my
arms.
My recommendation is toss the tripods and buck bales and carry calves for a
couple of decades : )  Not really...

John Raymond
Olympia, WA