RE: [OM] Frozen 357s

Subject: RE: [OM] Frozen 357s
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:25:03 -0600
Yes, I was wrong about typical freezer temperatures (mine is 3°F), and too
about Silver-Oxide (AgO) cell shelf life.

According to Eveready, AgO cells have:

"Excellent service maintenance; in excess of 90% after storage at 21°C(70°C)
for five years."

An accompanying graph shows storage at 0°C gives better than 90% after more
than 10 years.

Here is information from Eveready about Silver-Oxide cells and temperature:

"Silver oxide batteries have good performance characteristics at temperature
extremes.   They can be used up to 55°C(131°F).  Silver oxide batteries
utilizing KOH as an electrolyte will operate with less loss of efficiency at
lower temperatures than comparable NaOH batteries.  Batteries with KOH
electrolyte will operate down to -28°C (-20°F) and NaOH batteries down
to -10°C(14°F) with some service reduction in both types."

I can't find information on whether 357 cells are NaOH or KOH electrolyte,
but clearly most of us do not need to refrigerate these cells to maintain
shelf life.

Chip