Re: [OM] Frozen 357s

Subject: Re: [OM] Frozen 357s
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 00:34:31 EST
cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I can't find information on whether 357 cells are NaOH or KOH electrolyte,
 but clearly most of us do not need to refrigerate these cells to maintain

 Chip,
       The battery "bible" gives slightly higher self discharge rates for the
generic SR44 size AgO cells than you quote. The EverReady 357's are most
likely NaOH as the KOH cells are harder to seal and thus generally more
expensive and less common. In fact from a leakage/damage point of view they
are probably less desireable for camera use. They also seem to have a much
more sloping discharge voltage curve near end of life, making them less
attractive although they have better high current capability. Some '76 label
cells seem to have been KOH which may be why they were often more expensive.
When I looked at this a long time back the self discharge rate was close to
halving every 10C reduction in temperature (like many batteries and other
chemical processes). So going from 23C room temperature to 3C (refrigerator
compartment) should quadruple life.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes