Re: [OM] great lens test site... (Nikon)

Subject: Re: [OM] great lens test site... (Nikon)
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:43:56 -0400

"Michael S. Williamson" wrote:

> I most heartily agree.  Why reinvent the wheel?  I've found that site very
> useful,
> particularly with the film reviews and other things non-Zuiko, non-35mm.
> There
> are missing Zuiko lenses (not those with no reviews but those that just
> plain
> aren't there to review) like the 50mm f1.4, the 35-70 f3.5-4.5 (though the
> Cosina 3.5-4.8 got a couple of glowing reviews by OM-2000 owners!!!), and
> the
> 35-70 f4.

Michael,

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. It was mentioned that someone
would like to see this kind of site. My intention has been that if this
is something that lots of people want and which isn't currently being
done, then I'll go ahead and set it up. So far, I've had very little
feedback one way or the other. Chris O'Neill has given me some good
suggestions and seems really excited about some of the possibilities
that such a site could offer. Other than that, I haven't really heard much.

The one complaint I would have about www.photographyreview.com (although
I haven't really looked too much into it) other than just a lack of
Olympus gear would be that there's no way to seperate out the lens
reviews by brand (at least not that I saw). You click on 35mm prime
lenses and you have to scroll through all kinds of other brands in order
to find what you're looking for.

If I were to setup the site, I'd like to set it up so that you could
seperate by brands. The initial plan for the site would be to cover the
Zuiko lens line. I'd then like to expand it into covering other 3rd
party lenses availible in OM mount. If I have that in mind then there
certainly is potential in the future to expand it into other lens lines
as well. Currently, that's not a big priority for me (or even
necessarily a goal at all) but it's good to have it in mind now so that
my design decisions now don't make those moves difficult/impossible in
the future.

I guess as another way of looking at things, is there anything about
www.photographyreview.com that you find lacking? If you could, how would
you improve it? This is the type of information I'm looking for. If
there aren't many things that people would like to see then I probably
won't go ahead with the Zuiko lens review site. If it turns out that
there are things that aren't being done now that people would like to
see, then I'll move ahead. As I said before, this type of site is only
as good as the content that is provided by the users. If the site won't
get used then it will be lame. If it does get used, then it will be
good. I don't particularly want to create a lame site. I'd like to
create a tool that would be useful to the Olympus community. If there's
already a tool availible, then great. If there isn't (or the tools that
are there aren't very good/complete) then let me know what you need.

The big thing that seems to have Chris excited is the possibility of
creating a unified Olympus source. Now I don't think complete
unification is really possible unless I were to take content from other
sites (unless I were to attempt to create an ultimate single repository
for Zuiko information which is a much larger project). I don't want to
do that so at the moment it would seem like linking would be the best
way to go. But, it could be done in an intelligent way in order to make
it more useful. A good example would be the ability to pull up the
reviews of a specific lens. At the top of the page there could be a link
to the specific page on the esif that deals with that lens. Chris has
suggested that opening this in another browser window might be a good
idea. I'm of 2 minds here. Generally, I don't like opening up multiple
windows but at the same time, it would make it easier to flip between
information.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx