[OM] e-10

Subject: [OM] e-10
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:15:48 -0500
Hi all,
I was strolling through Circuit City (a mega electronics store) when I spied
the E-10 dangling from a security tether out in the open on a digital camera
display. Picked it up to have a look. First impression was that it had a
reserved appearance, not brash and overstated like the Sony stuff.
Reasonable weight with a balance similar to the IS-20, but a bit larger and
heavier. Handling was ok. I was not able to truly work it's features. Once
batteries were loaded, it cried out for the memory card, but the sales folk
were 'unable' to provide one. Perhaps because I did not have my credit card
afixed to my forehead... So, while I could zoom, I could not get the AF to
work, but the MF functioned when selected. Also could not fire the shutter
or flash. My general vibes with the camera were good, but one thing the
memory card wouldn't fix- the viewfinder is not very bright, and eclipses
easily without perfect eye alignment. I'm sure this would be a big
consideration if I had been wearing my glasses vice contacts. The lack of
brightness surprised me, as the front lens element is large like a big light
scoop. Yet the viewfinder is smaller than the IS-20 and dimmer than any of
my OM bodies with the Tamron 28-200 3.8-5.6 zoom lens.

Circuit City's price is $1,999. No bargain here, but if you want to handle
one for yourself, they're out there.

-Mickey