Re: [OM] FS The good, the bad and the ugly. Also Information.

Subject: Re: [OM] FS The good, the bad and the ugly. Also Information.
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 15:49:52 -0400

Chris Barker wrote:

> It can't be a Mac thing can it?

I did a little investigation (I'm also on a mac and the original message
was difficult to read). Saved the message from netscape and then opened
it in a text editor.

Here's what turned up. First, he's using a mailer that supports sending
the message in both ASCII and HTML (by sending a MIME multi-part
message). So that's why some people just saw the plain ASCII text. Now
then, indirectly there is a mac thing issue. The HTML portion of the
message puts in these HTML tags:

<FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2><I>

First off, I do agree that reading big blocks of italicized text is
annoying (and I also agree that HTML in messages is a bad thing
anyways). However, the Mac issue comes in because arial isn't a font on
the mac (at least not a standard one), so the alternate font of
helvetica is used. I suspect that perhaps arial is a bit more readable.
The setting of the size to 2 also makes the type smaller. I suspect that
arial may be a bigger font than helvetica is at the same point size. So
what you end up with is a small italicized message that's very difficult
to read.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx