Re: [OM] T-32 Foot crack

Subject: Re: [OM] T-32 Foot crack
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:04:01 -0400

Vaughan Bromfield wrote:

> That's where the argument breaks down... the original plastic broke,
> didn't it? A longer term fix might be to reinforce the new foot with
> epoxy before installing it.

True, but then replacing the foot is no better either. I recommended
plastic cement because I've found that epoxy generally isn't all that
good with plastics. I find it usually works better with porous materials
(like unglazed ceramics or wood) where the epoxy can seep into both
parts. With plastic or metal, I found it was fairly easy to break the
bond in the same spot.

With plastic cement, you don't actually glue to pieces, you essentially
"weld" the pieces together, creating something as strong as the original
plastic. So unless it's a stress issue (vs. just poor
maintenance/carelessness) it shouldn't need reinforcing.

Assuming you could get the epoxy to bond well, that would be a good
solution (if you made sure to not gum up any other parts).

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx