Re: [OM] [OT] Manfrotto 055

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Manfrotto 055
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:14:44 -0400

Tom Scales wrote:

> Ok, perhaps this is a touch off-topic.  I'm trying to find out a little more
> about a Manfrotto 055 tripod. That's the sum total of what I know, but one
> of the packages I bought includes one. Is it a decent tripod?  I have no
> idea what head is on it, or even if it is interchangeable.  Just trying to
> get an idea of what I bought!

That's the exact tripod I have. Actually, it's a slightly different
version. I have the 055cb. The c means it has a 2 section center column
(the 055 has a longer single section center column) and the b means
mine's the black anodized version.

As someone else pointed out, these were distributed in the US under the
Bogen name. I believe Manfrotto has taken over the US distribution now
(or it could be that Bogen got the rights to use the Manfrotto name).

The 055c weighs about 5lbs and is a nice 3 section tripod. I'm just
about 6' tall and with my head (#168 ball head) I can use this tripod at
eye level without any center column. The legs also have 3 positions to
work on unlevel terain or to get you low to the ground. The center
column can also be reversed to bring the camera down lower.

If you need anymore info, let me know. I notice that for some reason I
can't contact www.manfrotto.com tonight, but that is their website and
should also give you plenty of info (for one, I think they also will
show you the Bogen product numbers for their stuff which you might be
more familiar with).

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx