Re: [OM] Ahh! Took the plunge

Subject: Re: [OM] Ahh! Took the plunge
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:01:34 -0400

Jim Couch wrote:

> Yes it is clearly a sign of Zuikohlism, but usually one that manifests
> itself later in the disease cycle, the fact that you succumbed is evidence
> of an advanced case. The fact that you are selling off other possessions to
> feed your disease is the final nail in the coffin, so to speak. You, my
> friend, are a goner! I think your tagline should read Andrew "Zuikoholic"
> Dacey :)

Well I've updated my sig slightly at least for this message! It all
started when I saw an OM-2n in a local camera store about a week ago. It
looked to be in mint condition and was just so beautiful in the display
case. I left that day after just looking at it. The next day I figured
that I'd take a look at it and see if I liked the feel of the Olympus
gear, you know, just sort of try it out in the store with no intention
of buying it. It felt great. Loved the small size and weight (and I'm
used to a "lightweight and small" C*n*n body right now!). The body was
in great shape, just the usual small cracks on the shoe and a bit of
foam rot in the back, nothing else. But the camera store wanted too much
money for it. Around the same time, I found myself browsing ebay a lot
just looking at the Olympus stuff. I started putting in ridiculously low
snipes for newly listed items. I figured that I wouldn't get the item
but if I did, it would be too good a deal to pass up. Gradually, I
started placing low bids on items directly. Then I had to go back and
take another look at the OM-2n, but the store wanted too much money for
it and I wanted a body that didn't need batteries at all (except for the
meter). During my ebay searches, I ran across the OM-1n that I ended up
buying. For awhile I was content to just watch the item. I kept noticing
that there were no bids on the item (the seller had set a high opening
bid with no reserve). I was hoping someone would take the BIN price of
$245 and end my torment. Gradually though, I noticed the time remaining
on the auction drop and started figuring that while $185 was a high
opening price, it was an average price if that's all it went for. I kept
going back to my watching page. Eventually, the auction got down to
30mins remaining. I almost put the bid in right then, but I stopped
myself. I figured I'd put in a snipe instead and then I could still
cancel the bid. I put a snipe in for $200. About 10mins later, I was
worried about having to pay $200 so I went back and dropped the bid to
$185. I figured that someone else probably had a snipe too and that way
I'd only get it if no one else bid any higher. Then I watched some tv to
calm myself down and suddenly realised the auction was over and then I
had to check if I won it.

--
Andrew "Not so Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx