Re: [OM] 75-150/4 lens (OT keyboard options)

Subject: Re: [OM] 75-150/4 lens (OT keyboard options)
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:52:06 -0400

Mike Lazzari wrote:

> Hey guys, non of those options show up on the digest, no matter what
> browser. It just adds to the clutter and makes your posts hard to read.
> FYI mac option-4 shows up as: =A2 And Les, your line feeds show up as
> =20 making your posts difficult to follow sometimes. I have a
> programable keyboard and have given myself a "cent" (¢) sign but don't
> use it for posts for this reason. So everybody let's keep it simple
> text, please.
> In Netscape you can go to Edit/Preferences/Messages and uncheck the Send
> as HTML box then hit the More Options button and check the Send As Is
> box. AOL users are the biggest offenders but I don't know if AOL
> provides a solution for them, probably not.
> Thanks,
> Mike

The problem is that in the digest, all those messages get mashed into
the one big message. So mime encoded messages (which are frequently used
with HTML posts) don't work, neither does just plain HTML (since the
digest's header says it's in plain text). The same is true with special
characters. If it's a standard part of the character set (iso-8859-1)
then you're normally fine. However, the message needs to support 8-bit
encodings. I'm guessing the digest's header is set for 7-bit encoding,
so these strange characters get mangled into other things in the conversion.

So yes, if you want to be courteous to the digest members, you should
stick to plain text (no HTML) posts that only use the lower ASCII
characters (ie, no weird characters).

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx