Re: [OM] Maybe [OT] PayPal Surcharges (WAS: large $ international shipm

Subject: Re: [OM] Maybe [OT] PayPal Surcharges (WAS: large $ international shipment)
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 00:16:39 -0400

Chris O'Neill wrote:

> Interesting!  I charge a fee to PayPal payors, and e-Bay hasn't hassled
> me.  Did a buyer complain?  What's the URL that shows that rule?
>
> Btw, if they "crack down" on me, I'll just start charging a "handling fee"
> to all users.  Let's see e-Bay make a rule against that!

I think it probably has to do with credit card laws. For processing the
credit card, the retailer is charged a certain fee. It's illegal though
in many places to pass that cost onto the seller. Many retailers get
around this by offering a "cash discount" because it's not illegal to
offer a discount on a price. Don't know how you can manipulate that
situation in this case though.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx